Saturday, September 15, 2007

I know I should have said this some time back...BUT, I'm really thankful my dad came with me to North Carolina.

At first, I was resistant to him coming along with me cos of problems with booking airline tickets, accommodation and not knowing what is he to do when he got there and me having orientation the day after i arrived.

But he came anyway. And although we were separated during the flight from Hong Kong to LA, due to an airlines' incompetence, I am really grateful for his company. Looking back, it would be lonely during that 12 hour wait in LA. Moreover, I probably wouldn't know what to do during all that time.

During the initial 3 days in UNC, it was almost a relief each day to see his familiar face amidst the sea of strange and unfamiliar ones. I think his presence there helped to make the transition easier, somehow.

I have no idea why i seemed more jetlagged then him. But i wasn't in the mood to make effort to talk a lot to people on the first day of orientation and after that i was so convinced i'll never make friends in this place. So you can kinda imagine what it felt like to see my dad after the long day and be able to talk freely with him.

Dad would join me during lunch or dinner when we ate at the dining hall. I tell you, he was so funny! while i was jet-lagged and slightly cranky and not in the mood to talk or even make the effort to, Dad struck up conversations with every parent on the table. I'm not exaggerating! He spoke to everyone! and i felt this eased the mood a lot as everyone started talking about where they were from and stuff.

I started talking a little more after that.

when it was time for him to leave, a sudden realization dawned that i was really gonna be alone and he's not gonna be there to help me anymore. and so when he hugged me that last time, i cried. ok, not bawl but i did cry a little. it just came as a wave...


No comments: