Thursday, October 25, 2007

Washington was so much more than i expected and then some.

There was so much that I learnt during the trip that its difficult to fully process them all. Right now, i'm afraid that as i get caught up in the hussle of school, i might forget them all.

The trip was really worth every bit of that $25. I got glimpses of dc that no tour group would bring me. I met people so different and unique in culture, background and ideology and yet so similar in desires and dreams that as I reflect, i'm still reeling from the amazement and wonder that such a small group of 13 could contain such diverse people.

As we visited the homeless shelters, temporary housing, non-profit groups and soup kitchens I found my stereotypes of shelters and homeless people melting away. I'm sure that there are shelters and homeless people that fit my initial stereotype. However, i know now that they come in different forms. The realization that anyone can one day become homeless, including me, is also something new to me. And its a very terrifying idea.

When I went on the trip, all I wanted was to know more about homelessness and maybe get a little sightseeing done. Now, after getting to actually meet and interact with some of the homeless or previously homeless, i've become more aware of the fact that these are people, with lives and desires and dreams and pasts, not something i walk past along the street or sometimes not even notice at all.

i think that sometimes i forget that they are people, in the midst of my fear and uncertainty and skeptism towards them. most times i just try to avoid them altogether. this not exactly something i'm proud of. but coming back from that trip, i'm gonna try to change. its a work in progress.

No comments: